Monday 12 October 2009

Green Woodpecker

Green Woodpecker - Picus viridusThis female green woodpecker (Picus viridus) was hopping around the lawn for most of the day today, eating ants.



They are very shy and don't often come close enough to the house to get a decent photo through the window.

The beak is very long and it hammers it into the earth to find ants, usually ending up quite muddy in the process.

Unlike other kinds of woodpecker, green woodpeckers spend a lot of time on the ground rather than in trees. Their green plumage merges into the background, but the red head means it can be spotted quite easily.

At the weekend there were dozens of ladybirds flying around. I would guess that they are trying to find a warm and cosy place to hibernate. Last winter, lots of them ended up in the frame of our sliding patio doors.

3 comments:

Jodie Robson said...

When I was in Devon recently a yaffle flew right past me on to the lawn, where it hopped around just like in your picture - lovely. We don't have them where I live, so it was a pleasure to see.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Very occasionally we have a visit from a green woodpecker, though have never managed a photograph. I came to you via geranium cat. A very lovely blog.

Jenny said...

Thank you for your comment about my blog.

The green woodpeckers here are very shy and I have only managed to take photos of them through the window. If they see any movement through the window, they fly off immediately with that strange screech, so I have to be very cautious.